The Historical Association of the Lawton Rangers is a 501(c)(3) organization that strives to contribute to the quality of life in Comanche County and the surrounding area. We focus on preserving and promoting agricultural education and western heritage in our community. Funding for the association is provided primarily through our PRCA rodeo, hosted annually since 1938.
The association now known as the Lawton Rangers began in 1938 as the “Buckaroo Club.” That year, the club hosted its first rodeo at the county fairgrounds, just north of the Fairmont Creamery. When the fairground property was sold in 1944, the club disbanded, but six of the original members came together and formed the Lawton Rangers that same year.
Fourteen years later, the Rangers purchased 40 acres on the east side of town, now home to LO Ranch. In 1960, they constructed a new arena, and as the organization grew, so did the arena. The current location seats more than 8,000 people, and the Lawton Rangers PRCA rodeo is now one of the largest in Oklahoma.
At its heart, the Lawton Rangers have always been about growing and supporting our local community. Since its founding, the Rangers have been part of Lawton’s birthday celebration, which coincides with the annual rodeo. Every year during the rodeo, the Rangers host a dance on Friday and Saturday night to celebrate the occasion.
Today, the Lawton Rangers are involved in numerous charities and civic events, including the Lawton Rangers scholarship program, the Saddle & Sirloin Club, the Comanche County Spring Livestock Show, and more.